26 November 2022 1XV Report: Derby 24-47 Kenilworth

Derby were forced into a late change as Sam Pittman replaced Tom Antrobus, with Josh Ridley coming in on the bench.

Derby kicked off, on a mild autumnal day and kept the ball through a number of phases, without really threatening.

After 10 minutes, Kenilworth were 6 – 0 up thanks to 2 successful penalty kicks.

Derby hit back, 2 minutes later. An excellent Josh Tizard break took him clear and as he drew the last man, Rhondell Stabana appeared on his shoulder, to take the pass and score. Josh Bingham’s conversion put Derby ahead.

Kenilworth soon countered and 2 tries in 5 minutes, put them 16 – 7 ahead.

Derby again hit back, 11 minutes before halftime. Sam Tebbs made a strong run. McGrath Van Wyk took the ball on, drew the last man and fed Lewis Hancock who scored his 10th try of the season, under the posts. Josh Bingham converted and Derby were only 2 points behind.

The final period of the half saw Kenilworth extend their lead, with a converted try and Derby lose McGrath Van Wyk to the sin bin.

Halftime saw Kenilworth 23 – 14 ahead.

Derby came out for the 2nd half, knowing they needed to score next if they were going to win the game.

Unfortunately, 4 minutes into the half, a clearing Derby kick went straight to the Kenilworth winger. He took the ball and ran 40 metres to score. The conversion took Kenilworth 16 points clear.

Derby hit back 3 minutes later when an excellent forward drive took them up to the Kenilworth try line. They moved the ball to the backs and Jack Dawson forced his way over.

Kenilworth added a penalty after 51 minutes. 16 minutes later, Jack Bates became the 2nd Derby player to be shown a yellow card. Kenilworth took full advantage of the extra man to score another converted try.

With 5 minutes remaining, Derby, still playing with a man down, kept the ball through numerous phases and stretched the Kenilworth defence. The move ended with a 2nd try for Jack Dawson, his 4th of the season, and Derby’s 4th of the game, securing a bonus point.

The final play of the game saw Derby pressing again, but a pass was intercepted and Kenilwoth scored under the posts.

The conversion completed the scoring.

Kenilworth deserved their victory and looked a good side. Derby fought hard and played some good rugby and will be pleased to have taken something from the game.

Derby travel to Nuneaton next week.


Come on Derby!

Report by: R. Bambra

Photos by: S Hardwick – gallery

Derby R.U.F.C Mens 1XV vs Kenilworth R.U.F.C Mens 1XV-7