22nd January 1XV Report: Derby 20 – 23 West Bridgford

Derby made their first ever visit to Stamford Road to play a league match, looking to build on their fine performance against Belgrave.

West Bridgford played 3 ex Derby players; Ben Marlow, Joe Simcox and Dan Hyams and were 3rd in the league at the start of play, having beaten Derby at Haslams earlier in the season.

Derby kicked off and made an excellent start, resulting in a 10 point lead after 14 minutes.
Firstly, after 5 minutes, Lewis Hancock kicked a penalty, before Derby scored the 1st try of the day.

Ethan Pearson received a pass 30 metres out and set off. His powerful run took him through a number of tackles and over the line for a fine individual try. Lewis Hancock converted.

West Bridgford worked their way into the game, helped by Derby conceding 3 kickable penalties. Dickenson made Derby pay each time to narrow the lead to 1 point.

West Bridgford lost a flanker to the sin bin after 30 minutes, but Derby were unable to make the man advantage count.

As the half entered a prolonged period of injury time, West Bridgford crossed the Derby try line, with Brown scoring and Dickenson converting.

Lewis Hancock hit back with a successful penalty to leave the half time score 16 – 13 in West Bridgford’s favour.
The 2nd half developed into a dogged battle. After an even start to the half, West Bridgford had a 2nd row sent to the bin, but again Derby were unable to capitalise.

The extra man did however begin a prolonged spell of pressure, that saw Derby camped in the West Bridgford 22. Time and time again, Derby attacked, but they were unable to find a way to score, with West Bridgford defending magnificently.

Just when it looked as if the score wasn’t coming and with 3 minutes plus injury time on the clock, Derby were awarded a scrum 15 metres out. Sam Tebbs picked up from the base and powered his way over. Lewis Hancock converted to put Derby 4 points clear.

West Brigford were not finished however and in the dying moments, Salmon forced his way over the line and Dickenson converted to snatch victory.

The final whistle saw West Bridgford leapfrog Derby and go 2nd in the league.
A disappointing end for Derby who had enough possession to win the game, but were unable to turn pressure into points.

Another tough trip awaits next week, to 6th place Dronfield.

Come on Derby !

Report by: R. Bambra