15th January 2XV Report: Derby 12-33 Nuneaton

With numerous delays, cramped car parking, issues on the roads, the game was delayed by 10 minutes. Nuneaton were quicker out the blocks at the start of the first half, scoring two quick converted tries. As the half went on, Derby grew into the game, figuring out the differences between having solid scrums and competing well upfront. With some positive play down the left flank, Derby put pressure on Nuneaton in their own 22 but during this, an unfortunate injury to Jonny Doyle brought the first change of the game,  first Senior debut, and late addition to the lineup Cameron Finlay. 

With more possession, and go forward, Derby started to make inroads. The positive attacking put Nuneaton on the back foot, forcing them to make unnecessary errors and infringements. After a couple of quick penalties, Derby found themselves deep in Nuneaton territory with a line out. Winning the line out, Derby pushed forward and were able to cross the line, Cameron scoring a typical scrum-half try sniping off the edge of a ruck, Sam Baker converting.  


The momentum then swung back Nuneaton’s way with a quick reply, from the kick off they were able to win the ball back, missed tackles allowing them to score in the far corner. This knocked the wind out of Derby’s sails and Nuneaton were able to take advantage of this scoring again before halftime., 26-7 the score.

The second half started where the first had finished, both sides making mistakes and no real advantage or change to the scoresheet. There was another unfortunate injury, Max Thomson turned his ankle in a ruck, so the second substitution was made. With Max leaving the field, it meant the game had to go to uncontested scrums.

Derby again started to grow and with some pressure, this time down the left flank created more attacking threat, during one attack the Nuneaton centre was deemed to deliberately knock the ball on, so was duly carded. With Derby now up a player, there was more intensity. Derby scored next with a subtle little move off the back of a scrum, scored by Jake Barker in the left corner, Sam was unable to convert.

Derby were unable to fully capitalize on the player advantage and couldn’t reduce the deficit any further, after the Nuneaton centre returned to the field, they were able to make more ground and eventually increased their score with another converted try. 

Late on as both teams started to show signs of fatigue, Derby were again on the front foot, during an attack in the last few minutes inside the Nuneaton 22, Ryan Cockayne was injured whilst attacking and attempting to cross the line, badly enough for the ref to call time.

A great effort was shown by the team today, the team with more time together edged a tight game.  

 Video clips coming soon