25th September 1XV Report: Belgrave 12 Derby 26

It was a scrappy game in every sense of the word as Derby came up against a much bigger pack ready and able to use their weight advantage opting several times for a scrum rather than a penalty. However, their Backs failed to use the possession to good effect. This was largely due to the speed of Derby’s Backs getting up and tackling them before the gain line was reached.

Josh Bingham and skipper, Andy Brown, returned from injury and were joined by Tom Bigland and Callum Jones in the starting line up. Josh Harvey made his debut from the Subs. Josh Mc Callian moved to the wing. The infectious team spirit was evident again, building on last week’s game. This was a major contributory factor in Deby scoring four tries to gain a difficult bonus point win. However, the desire to pass the ball quickly did lead to some unforced errors but Belgrave failed to capitalise on this.

On the half hour mark a strong tackle caused the Belgrave fly half to drop the ball. It was quickly seized and passed to Andy Brown who raced through for a try converted by Josh Bingham. Four minutes later Sam Tebbs secured the ball at a lineout close to the Belgrave line. The driving maul saw Callum Jones score his first try, which went unconverted. Strangely, Sam Tebbs was given a yellow Card for off side but Derby finished the half with a 12 points lead.

During the break Mike Johns replaced Jeri Oldfield at prop. Four minutes after the restart, Belgrave exploited their one man advantage, when second row, Luke Gutteridge, touched down after a driving maul for a try converted by full back, Kevin Curtis. This was quickly followed by another forward drive from which winger, Mark De Ville, went over in the corner for an unconverted try to level the scores. Belgrave continued to mount great forward pressure on the Derby line but fierce defending and quick reaction kept them out. From a very quickly hooked scrum ball Jake Roome broke the tackle to send Callum Jones racing for the touchdown and Bingham added the conversion. With tiredness creeping in a large melee broke out when Derby players quickly ran to the aid of a player pinned down. No cards were issued. Slick passing in the 22 metre area, created space for Paul Burke to made a long break. When tackled, Josh Mc Callian picked up and sprinted 30 metres for Derby’s bonus point try converted by Josh Bingham.

After fifty plus minutes the final whistle was blown. It was a series of small battles won by Derby and the effectiveness of double hit tackles that brought the win.

Next week it is at home to West Bridgford who field another powerful pack. More vocal support would be much appreciated.

There was a total of 19 penalties, 13 for Belgrave and 6 for Derby -very stop & go!


Jack Waggott called in sick and Josh Harvey took his starting place.

Harry Bigland replaced brother, Tom Bigland after 20 mins.

Sam Tebbs moved to the wing after James Godfrey replaced Harry Bigland, who had a hamstring injury. Pitman moved to No.8.

Any more injuries would have seen Jerri Oldfield (prop) going on again as a wing!