13th November 1XV Report: Derby 55-19 Lutterworth

The RFU decision to insist the game take place was not generally welcomed by Lutterworth or Derby. Apprehensions were evident in the Club with both sides suffering from absent players. Would Declan Mc Manus from the 2nds, Louis Mc Guickian from Ballymena, and Henry Maitland-Davies from Loughborough, making their 1st XV debut fit in? On the bench were Ryan Cokayne and Alex Kalyta and, returning from injury, Tom Antrobus. All three were eager to make their debut for this season.
Fears were quickly quelled after seven minutes when Lewis Hancock kicked a penalty following good forward pressure. Declan Mc Manus showed his personal strength and power taking the ball forward anytime he got the ball. Derby players prowled the field like a pride of hungry lions taking down big forwards and quickly scavenging for any loose ball. Charlie Barker won lineout ball which was speedily transferred out to the wing, where Dave Cowell collected and burst through at great acceleration to touch down under the posts. Lewis Hancock converted and minutes later Will Town squeezed over in the corner to give Derby a clear 15 points lead. However, Lutterworth responded with a good attack, which ended with Justin Trombas scoring for Robbie Spencer to convert. Within three minutes wing forward, Harry Wood scored and Spencer converted again reducing Derby’s lead to a single point. With the Visitors on the up, Louis Mc Guickian took a pass under pressure and showed great ingenuity and effort as he forced his way 35 metres through a hoard of defenders. Dave Cowell then repeated his individual prowess as he crossed for his second try converted by Hancock to give Derby an 8 points lead at the interval.
During the break Tom Antrobus replaced Declan Mc Manus. Quick thinking Henry Maitland-Davies took a tap and go penalty from which Sam Tebbs scored out wide. However the scrum half suffered an injury and was replaced by prop, Alex Kalyta-Jubb, to the wing and Ryan Milton switching to scrum half. A second try for Will Town followed converted by Hancock but again Lutterworth produced a good passing move for Trombas to score in the corner.
With captain Andy Brown reassuring his backs with his solid defending, he showed an eye for a break with a great interception near his own line before racing all the way to touch down under the posts for Lewis Hancock to convert. Once again Lutterworth upped their game and |Derby had to work hard in defence. However, another interception by Will Town gave him his hat trick of tries. When Henry Maitland-Davies returned to the field of play, his late try broke the Lutterworth hearts. The two conversions by Lewis Hancock brought the final Derby tally to 55 points
It was a free flowing game which proved entertaining and exciting to watch. Mark Bradley was delighted with the performance and pleased with the improved choices in selection offered by the new and talented players.

Report by: Gerry Sherry